Looking for more? Click here to see all of our video lessons and infographics.
The Internet is a big place. So big, in fact, that a quick search online often results in thousands, even millions, of matching results. Sifting through page after page of results can be draining and frustrating, especially if you’re not finding what you need for your specific research purpose. The advanced search feature allows researchers (you!) to find the information they need quickly and easily.
What is advanced searching? Advanced searching is the act of narrowing search results, with the help of filters, to match research needs.
Advanced searching allows researchers to limit their results to display:
- certain types of files, such as pdfs, PowerPoints, jpgs, and others
- sources in a specific language
- websites ending with a specific domain, such as .edu, .gov, .org, and others
- sources published on an exact date or a date range
- materials with certain usage rights (for sharing or modification purposes)
- sources with certain words or phrases omitted or included
- sites and resources from specific countries
Advanced searching is available on most search engines and databases and is a time saver during the research process. This is why it’s so important to provide our students with the understanding and knowledge of how to use advanced searching.
The Advanced Search – How To video provides students with an understanding of:
- why the advanced search feature on search engines and databases are helpful
- how to access the advanced search features on Google and Yahoo! and the various options available on each
- how the use of quotation marks and boolean operators (and, or, not) can benefit search queries
- the use of database limiters to narrow results
- other various strategies to help with the search process
Don’t forget to cite sources you’ve found on EasyBib.com! Similar to advanced searching, EasyBib.com can be a time saver during the research process! Citing in MLA format, as well as creating an APA title page is free.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!