Last updated: May 21, 2018
We at Chegg, Inc. (collectively with any subsidiaries, “Chegg”) have created this Privacy Notice to describe our practices regarding information we collect through our web sites, mobile features, mobile applications and any other interactive features or services owned or controlled by Chegg that post a link to this Privacy Notice (each, a “Service”), as well as any information we collect offline and combine in our databases. Note that we combine the information we collect from you through all of our Services.
We recommend you read this Notice in full to ensure you are fully informed. However, if you only want to access a particular Section then click on the relevant link below.
I – INFORMATION COLLECTION
- Information You Provide To Us
We collect the following types of “Personal Information”, which is information that can be used to identify a specific individual:
- Contact information: your name, email address; mobile number; home number;
- Account information: password and other identifying information;
- Demographic information: your school, gender, birthday, and zip code;
- Your Service preferences;
- Shipping information (if you purchase or rent print textbooks): Mailing address;
- Payment information (if you choose to purchase products or services): typically, credit card account information);
- Reimbursement information (if you offer your own products or services via the Services): your payment details, Social Security Number or taxpayer identification number;
- Your “Profile”: information you upload to the Service including your Personal Information, photographs, your academic and work history, interests and activities;
- Anything you post to our Forums: reviews, problems, suggestions, ideas, solutions, questions, answers, class notes, course outlines, comments, testimonials, feedback, messages, images, videos, text or other material (“User Content”);
- Employment application (if you apply for a job though the Services): employment history, academic achievements, veteran status, gender and ethnicity; and
- Your communications with other Chegg users: video- or text- chat conversations, your name, Profile picture, number and Profile pictures of Chegg connections.
Any information combined with Personal Information will be treated as Personal Information.
- Information Third Parties Provide About You
We also collect information from third parties:
- Third party web sites: if you opt-in to receive information from us, that third party will forward information about you;
- Outside records from third parties (e.g., marketing or data validation services) to supplement the information you provide us;
- Interactions with third party social media: “liking” a product or “sharing” content to other websites; and
- Third party applications (e.g., Facebook Connect): your name, Profile photo and activity and purchases on the Services.
We may combine the information we receive from those other sources with information we collect through the Services. We will apply this Privacy Notice to the combined information.
- Information Chegg Collects Automatically
Like other web sites and online services, we and our third party service providers automatically collect certain “Usage Information” whenever you access and use the Services, including browsing content on a Chegg Service or clicking on a Chegg advertisement:
- Usage Information: the browser and operating system you are using, your carrier, the URL or advertisement that referred you to our Services, the search terms you entered into a search engine that lead you to our Services, all of the areas within our Services that you visit (including products you use, the time you spend on each page, and any ads you may view);
- Information collected from interactive services: notes you take and engagement during study sessions; and
- Mobile applications Usage Information: how often you use the application, events within the application, aggregated usage and performance data and from where the application was downloaded.
In addition, we automatically collect your IP address or other unique identifier (“Device Identifier”) for any computer, mobile phone or other device (“Device”) you may use to access the Services. Usage Information is generally non-identifying, but if we associate it with you as a specific and identifiable person, we treat it as Personal Information.
Usage Information is collected via tracking technologies, as explained further in our Cookies Notice
II – HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use information about you to:
- process a transaction you initiate, allow you to participate in features we offer and provide customer service (responding to questions, complaints or comments);
- tailor content, recommendations, information and offers we display to you, both on the Services and elsewhere online (sending or displaying special offers or advertisements from us or third-parties);
- email or otherwise provide you with information, products, services, or suggestions;
- process your registration with our Services, including verifying your e-mail address or the correct use of Chegg APIs;
- improve the Services and our products, and for internal business purposes, including the measurement of ad effectiveness;
- permit other Chegg users to contact you, and vice versa;
- provide you with location features and services (telling you about local deals and events);
- to assess your employment application for a position with Chegg;
- prepare related governmental and internal statistics reports; and
- as described in this Notice and for purposes disclosed at the time you provide your information or otherwise with your consent.
We also use non-personal information, including information that has been de-identified, to make inferences about you and offers and content you may be interested in, to serve you with relevant advertising, and to allow selected third party partners to do so.
Our legal basis for collecting and using your Personal Information will depend on the information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. In most cases we use Personal Information where we have your consent to do so, where we need it to perform a contract with you, or where the processing is in our legitimate business interests. In some cases, we have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you. Typically, our legitimate interests include improving our services, marketing, measuring the effectiveness of marketing and for employment-related purposes.
If we ask you to provide Personal Information to comply with a legal requirement or to enter into a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
III – HOW WE SHARE INFORMATION
We share information with the following third parties in the following circumstances:
- Chegg Group. Within the Chegg group of companies for the purposes outlined in this Notice.
- Profile Information. Profile information may be visible to third parties or to everyone, depending on the nature of the information and the privacy settings you choose. Your Profile may also be indexed by internet search providers when someone searches for your name.
- Community Forum. Anything you post to a Community Forum may be public. If you choose to voluntarily disclose Personal Information in your Profile or a Community Forum, that information will be considered public information.
- Marketing purposes. Chegg does not share your Personal Information with third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent. Chegg shares non-Personal Information: aggregate user statistics, de-identified information, demographic information, and Usage Information with third parties, including advertisers, content providers, and analytics providers; and third parties may collect non-Personal Information when you visit the Services. For opt-out information see our
- Third Parties Providing Services You Request: Instances in which you use our Services to purchase products or services provided, in whole or part, by third parties.
- Service Providers: We will share your Personal Information with third parties to provide services to us or you in connection with the Services, subject to confidentiality obligations, which limit their use and disclosure of such information. For example, companies that ship your order, send our emails, offer customer service or process payments.
- Business Transitions: In the event that Chegg goes through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, or other corporate change, during the course of any due diligence process, your information, including Personal Information, will likely be among the assets transferred. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on Services of any change in ownership or uses of your Personal Information, as well as any choices you may have.
- Employment Applications: If you apply for a job through the Services, Chegg will ask you to provide self-identifying information in conjunction with laws. Providing such self-identifying information is voluntary, but if you do, Chegg may submit that information to the appropriate government agencies to fulfil reporting requirements.
IV – COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES
Please see our Cookies Notice.
V – MOBILE USE
Cookies Notice for information about our collection of your location information. Chegg may store and use that information for security purposes (for example, for user verification and to ensure that Chegg’s APIs are being used appropriately).
We use mobile analytics software to allow us to better understand the functionality of our mobile applications on your Device. We do not link the information we store within the analytics software to any personally identifiable information you submit within the mobile application.
VI – MARKETING
Email: You can limit the information you receive from us by adjusting your settings on your account preferences page on the applicable Service or, for email, by using the “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of the Chegg email.
If you later decide that you no longer want to receive communications from a third party eg. Educational Institutions, you will need to contact that third party directly.
Text messages: You may opt-out at any time by replying “STOP” to one of the text messages received.
Push Notification: We will send you push notifications if you agree to receive them to announce special deals and to send you your itinerary. You may opt-out of receiving these at any time by going to the phone settings and turning them off.
Referrals: The Services offer referral features whereby users can use an email tool to invite friends to use the Services using a one-time email. Chegg stores this information only for the purpose of verification, as well as tracking the success of our referral program. The referred person may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request that we remove this information from our active database.
VII – UPDATING YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION
You can review the information you provided to us on a Service and make any desired changes to the information, or to the settings for your account on that Service, by logging in to your account for that Service and editing or deleting the information.
You can edit or remove your Profile, but you may not be able to remove answers or postings or other uploaded User Content on some Services. To request removal of content you posted publicly on the Services, or your testimonial as a satisfied customer, contact us at email@example.com., We will honor removal requests from residents of the EU and minors from California and where otherwise required by law. Other removal requests received, may, in our sole discretion, be honored or refused. Note that removal of public postings does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information posted. Also, if you have posted content on or through the Services, such as in Community Forums, we may not be able to delete it.
VIII – CLOSING YOUR ACCOUNT
If you wish to close your account with one of our Services, please send your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will remove your Personal Information and Profile, if applicable, from the active databases for the Service(s) you request. Please let us know which Service(s) you wish to close and send your request using an email account that you have registered with Chegg.
Even if your account is closed, information may remain in backup records and we retain certain data if necessary to prevent fraud or future abuse or for legitimate business purposes: analysis of aggregated, non-personally-identifiable data, account recovery or if required by law. All retained data will continue to be subject to this Notice.
IX – THIRD PARTY CONTENT, LINKS TO OTHER SITES
Certain content provided through the Services is hosted and served by third parties, which may include third party widgets (those that allow you to “like” or “share” content with third party web sites and online services). These features may collect your Device Identifier, which page you are visiting on our web site, and may set a cookie to enable the third party feature to function properly. These third parties may independently collect data. In some instances, we may require that you participate in the Services through a third party application or feature and, if you choose not to authorize or use the required third party application or feature, you will not be able to use the applicable Service.
Chegg has no control over third party web sites which are governed by the privacy policies and business practices of those third parties.
X – SECURITY
Chegg takes appropriate security measures to protect the Personal Information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. For example, we encrypt credit card numbers. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, as in any real-life scenario, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
XI – INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS
The Services are operated in the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and United States. Please be aware that information we collect will be transferred to and processed in the United States: a jurisdiction in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as those in the country where you reside. Transfers from our European subsidiaries are made using the Model Clauses approved by the European Commission.
Chegg may update this Notice at any time and any changes will be effective upon posting of the revised Notice unless otherwise specified. In the event that there are material changes to the way we treat your Personal Information, we will display a notice through the Services of the updated Notice. We endeavour to notify you in other ways, for example through contact information you have provided.
XIII – QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS
Chegg, Inc., Attn: Privacy Notice Issues, 3990 Freedom Circle, Santa Clara, CA 95054
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
XIV – YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
Imagine Easy Technology Solutions GmbH is the data controller of your Personal Information. Chegg’s Data Protection Officer can be contacted at email@example.com.
You have the following rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your Personal Information, see Sections VII and VIII above.
- You can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. To exercise these email firstname.lastname@example.org. To object to direct marketing, see Section VI above.
- If we have collected and process your Personal Information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. Contact details for data protection authorities in the EEA and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here).
We will retain your Personal Information for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this Notice unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law, for legal, tax or regulatory reasons, or other lawful purposes. When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your Personal Information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible, then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.